Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory filling up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2002
US
We are running HP-UX 10.20 and recently upgraded to 640 MB of memory. According to the swapinfo command my memory usage steadily increases over the course of three weeks. After a reboot it runs at about 20-30 % but then eventually creeps up to 90 % and when it reaches 97-98 % the server locks up. I was wondering if any one knew how to control the how much of the memory gets used without rebooting it every 2-3 weeks. Below is the most recent swapinfo:

Kb Kb Kb PCT START/ Kb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 262144 20008 242136 8% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
dev 409600 0 409600 0% 0 - 2 /dev/vg00/dump
reserve - 131408 -131408
memory 467324 426712 40612 91%

Sounds like you may have a memory leak.
What application/applications are you running?
You may concider looking to the vendor/s for an application patch for HP-UX.
Speaking of patches, are you up to date with HP patches for the system?

Thanks for the help. We are not as up to date as we like because the server was supposed to be replaced. My main applications are Netscape Enterprise Server, Sendmail, Bind, Majordomo, and Mailman.

I would think about putting the 60 day trial version of Perfview/Measureware and you can tweak the parm file to breakdown the info in terms of app/processes.

Clare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back