Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory error

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoghan07l

Technical User
Sep 12, 2007
IE
I am trying to upgrade the memory on a HP Proliant ml370 server, i had no free slots so i had to removed two*256 memory slots and i tried to replace these with the new memory i purchased. 2*1G slotts this new memory is compatable with the server however when i try to boot up with the memory inserted the server beeps and won't boot up.

I have tried removing all the memory from the server and just having the new memory installed and i get the same problem, if i have the new memory and 2 sticks of the old memory installed the server reads the new memory and can see that there is an increased amount in it, but when it is about to boot into windows server i get a blue screen with the following error.

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
*** The system has halted ***
NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

If anyopne has any ideas please let me know, i'm not sure if the memory i have purchased is broken or if i need to manually configure the server to accept the new memory? thanks for your help in advance.

yes i've tried just putting one stick of the memoruy and booting up and i get the same prolonged beep. i'll try the MS memory software and see if that helps,
i'm thinking the memory might be broken, but i don't know for sure? thanks for the help

Did you check the server's documentation on how the memory should be placed. Certain HP servers expect you to install the DIMM pairs in specific slots (had this with a DL380)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back