Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Error: Instruction at 0x77a7b0fc referenced memory....

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardape13

Technical User
Oct 30, 2001
US
I got the following memory error for Zcast.exe, which I believe is my Netzero, after leaving it idle for a while. "Instruction at 0x77a7b0fc referenced memory at 0x0000000c The memory could not be read. Click Ok to terminate program." Could someone explain what this is exactly? Thanks!

Usually an error like that means that a program is trying to read information from a memory address that it does not have access to. Try uninstalling and reinstalling NetZero. Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net
AKA Nick Burns - Your Company's Computer Guy
"Would you like me to save your game of Minesweeper first?"

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

I have a simular problem. My error is with Backup Exec (bengine.exe). Memory couldn't be "read". Should I uninstall and reinstall BE?
Rhett

I had a similiar problem with at&T IDAILER.EXE. This problem is resolved by the following steps:
1. export reg for the current user + software
2. logoff and logon as another WIn2000 user
3. import the reg
4. start the application again and move it around
5. export the reg
6. logoff and logon again as original user
7. import the reg again
8. start application starts again w/o error.

Let me know if it helps

The first address is just somewhere in wherever the program was loaded into memory. The second address, the zero one, is the null (nothing) memory address that new references in a program receive. It's the kind of thing the programmer is supposed to check for and prevent. In most user cases, it's a fluke that can be patched by reinstalling, especially if the program worked fine before. If it's something that continually happens, after every reinstall of the application, you might want to consider talking to the software vendor about it. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back