Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory dump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

violetta

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
Hi, I have gotten a blue screen with the warning of a memory dump about to happen soon. I would like to be able to diagnose my problem and fix it myself. I know that I can replace RAM and a hard drive. Does anybody know how I can tell what is causing the problem and possibly fix it myself? I love messing with the computer and I would hate to lose it for several days.

A blue screen error could be caused by a lot of things. First thing you need to do is make a note of the stop message that is displayed at the top of the screen i.e -

STOP 0x00000000 AN_ERROR_MESSAGE_HERE

This message will most probably mean nothing but will help to narrow down the cause of the problem. If you have debugging enabled, the contents of what was happening in memory at the time of failure will be dumped to file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back