Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory.dmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

elgato1906

Technical User
Nov 9, 2000
US
I was looking to free up some space on my C:\ drive and came across a file called memory.dmp in the WINNT directory. From what I have read if the system crashes it will write what ever is in memory to this file for debugging purposes. Is it okay to delete this file after the fact or will the system not function properly without this file?

Thanks for the help

In fact, there are not many people who can debug it. I remember a few months ago I had contact with a engineer from siemens and he told me that (after sending him a dump) this was the first time he could solve a problem with this dump. When NT gets a blue screen and kills himself NT writes down the contents of the memory on the disk, as NT is crashed it is not possible to make a good file because probably the file system has gone dead, after reboot NT detects this raw dump and makes a proper file from it. But nearly nobody can do anything with it, only people with special training from Microsoft can sometimes find the cause of the problem, but often the cause is NT I think. Wim Vanherp
Wim.Vanherp@belgacom.net

Thanks for the help. And no I don't plan on trying to debug it.

What about user.dmp? Same hold true here? It is deleteable with no major functionality hampered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back