Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory configuration - ASUS A7N8X Deluxe GD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgr

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2002
PT
I've bought this ASUS A7N8X board and an AMD Athlon 2600+ with 512K L2 CACHE (Barton - Core), with 512 MB RAM DDR400
I have configured my BIOS like this:
CPU externel frequency: 166 MHz
CPU Frequency Mutilpe Setting: Auto (which results on a CPU frequêncy multiple of 11.5).
System performance: Optimal
CPU Interface: Optimal
Memory Frequency: By SPD (which results on a Memory frequency of 200 MHz)

During POST I've got the following message: 512 MB running at 200 MHz Single Chanel

Why isn't my memory running at 400 MHz? What am I missing?

Many thanks!

If memory is running at 200 Mhz, then it is reading the memory twice per clock cycle for a combined 400Mhz. Hopefully both of your memory parts are the same exact specs so you can get Dual DDR. Normally you get a message for this. You have to have the Memory in the correct Slots to get Dual DDR Speed.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thank for your answer. I think I didn't explained my problem very well. I only have a DDR DIMM - 512 MB, so I won't be able to run my memory in dual channel mode.

I just wanted to know if, despite of having a message during POST telling me that my memory is running at 200 MHz, is it running at full speed? Shouldn't I get a message telling that my memory is running at 400 MHz? After all i bought 512 MB DDR 400...

Thank you very much!

The memory is clocked at 200 mhz and doubles the data rate to 400.

Hi!
You really should set the memory speed in sync
with the CPU's frontside bus of xp2600+ .Witch is not
running 400mhz fsb but 333mhz. (only athlon xp3200+ runs
400mhz)

Your setup runs fsb and memory in asyncronous mode .
Even if your memory is DDR400 you get better performance
running syncronized even if that is 333 .

syar

pgr
So that would be the dip switches (on the motherboard) or a bios setting of 166 for both memory and CPU, which equates to 333 because of the double data rate ram (DDR)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

fsb jumper:

The fsb jumber is to be set on pos 1+2 .266/333/"400" mhz.
3+4 = 200 is for Duron/Thunderbird speeds.

When the FSB jumper is set to 1-2 (default) the board supports CPU for FSB 400/333/266. When set to 2-3 the board supports 200 FSB only! (Old Duron & T-Bird) Official support for 400 FSB is available on A7N8X PCB v2.00
(
syar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back