Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory compatability question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwood

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
GB
I want to upgrade the memory in this PC by replacing this:
Module Name Infineon 64D32300GU6C
Serial Number 01093110h
Manufacture Date Week 4 / 2004
Module Size 256 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC2700 (166 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (6.0 ns @ 166 MHz)
2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (7.5 ns @ 133 MHz)
With this:
1GB 333MHZ 184PIN DDR Memory, No-ECC. Higher performance over mainstream PC100 or PC133 memory. Up to 2.7 GB/sec of peak bandwidth using PC2700 DIMMs (with DDR333 memory chips). JEDEC Standard. 184 pin DIMM, non-ECC. DIMM Lead pitch: 1.27 mm. 2.5 Volts. SSTL-2 I/O Interface. SPD Support. Support for Memory Chip Stacking.

Now, the fella on Ebay flogging this stuff isn't very helpful/knowledgable (a bit like me really). The only info I can get from the documentation of my PC is:
For proper system operation, if the system supports DDR-SDRAM

DIMMs, the DIMMs must be industry-standard 184-pin, unbuffered

PC 2100 266 MHz-compliant CAS Latency 2 or 2.5 (CL = 2 or CL =

2.5), or PC 2700 333 MHz-compliant CAS Latency 2.5 (CL = 2.5)

2.5 volt DDR-SDRAM DIMMs.

Yet he keeps blabbering on about high density???

The burning question is, will that stuff work in my old bag of bolts?

Post the make/model of your PC or motherboard and we can look it up.

On the face of it everything sounds correct and is similar (apart from capacity) to what you already have.
More hardware info might be good.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Sorry, forgot to post that info.
The PC is an HP d230 MT(DQ450T)M/board is a Lite-On Tech, model: 0884h. I cannot find anything on their website about m/boards though.

Some motherboards do not like the 1GB ram modules...

in that case it would be advisable to go ahead and break it up into two (2) 512mb ram modules instead, rated at the same speed (PC2700/DDR333, although PC3200/DDR400 are downward compatible)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Yeah, instead of risking the chance of it not reading the 1GB capacity I would also suggest you break it up into smaller amounts.

Since you have four banks, I'd just throw an additional 512MB stick in there. There's no need to get to exactly 1GB. At this point, any memory upgrade above 512MB will give you a little boost especially if you're running Windows XP. However, realize that as outdated as your system is getting, a memory upgrade is only going to take you so far.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

As this is a main line HP machine, I'd take it on line to Crucial and let its automatic checker work out which memory combination you can install.

IIRC, the d230 uses an 845GE chipset which can utilise up to 2 x 1GB PC2700 (DDR333) SDRAM max CL2.5. It does not support dual channel, so equal sized modules are not required (you can leave the original 256MB stick and insert the additional 1GB stick to give a total of 1.256GB). But you should match the speed and CL rating for best results.

There seems to be loads of these available used on eBay very cheap so I recommend go for 2 x 1GB modules.

Regards: tf1

Thanks for all the help. The m/board only has 2 slots (the software I used to get the hardware info reported it wrong).

I shall head off to Ebay for some bargain hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back