Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MEMO file is Missing/Invalid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw7815

Programmer
Aug 19, 2002
US
Help please.....I have several old apps that were written (about 4-5 years ago) in Foxpro 2.5 on a Win 95 system. I am currently on Win98 and when I try to edit the old programs, I get "MEMO file is Missing/Invalid" when I try to edit any of the screen sets in the projects. I would love to upgrade these programs to a newer version, but I can't do anything with them now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Tim

Screens are made up of two files - an SCX and an SCT. These are equivalent to .DBF and .FPT (the memo file). Your message would indicate you are missing the .SCT file or it has been corrupted. Many virus in the past couple of years have attacked or removed .SCT files because they have the same extension as a Visual Basic Script file.

Since most of the information on a screen can be stored in the SCT half of the pair, without it, you are out of luck. You have a couple options :
1) Restore these from a good backup
2) Recreate them from the system documentation
3) If you have a .APP or .EXE that these screens are in, you could use a decompiler, like ReFox, and let it extract most of the information from the code file. Note: This assumes you have the legal right to do this, and that the .APP / .EXE hasn't been "branded" to prevent this.

Rick

I am trying to upgrade my Foxpro2.6 Memo files (.fpt) to a database program called embark. The FPT files aer unreadable.I ned to get them into a ascii file or some way of deciphering, converting or even seeing the fileas and link to the data. HELP.....

First, you really should have started a new thread and not simply added on to this virtually unrelated topic.

That said, you normally don't access a memo (.FPT) file as a standalone entity. You should have a database (.DBF table) file with the same name. The .DBF has all the links to the locations of the data in the .FPT file. There are a number of ways to view this data - any version of FoxPro or VFP, Access, Quickview, and a number of freware / shareware viewers. To export the data, what program and technique you use will depend on what format "embark" wants it in.

Rick

This is an enail from Embark:

Indeed, accessing the .FPT files directly does not work, because they are unformatted when opened in Windows app's and do not retain the links to the corresponding DBF records.

Essentially what EmbARK requires to be able to import the memo data is discreet categories or columns (credit line, inscription) and a link to the corresponding FPT record. If you can find a way to Export the data from the DBF table in total, You may easily select only the memo data since the other information has already been imported into EmbARK.

I do not know how this stuff works, But can someone help? Is there an export feature in Foxpro 2.6

Thread (1) timw7815 - missing memo files?
There a hack. If you change the first byte from to 03H, it will not ask for the memo file. You can open the data base. Then MODI STRU ....
This can be done with

DEBUG x.dbf
e cs:100
<Enter 03>
w
q

End of mail.

Timw1715
error is caused &quot;too fast&quot; computers
(in my case FoxPro 2.0 was enough step from 133- > 266 MHz).
Before editing screens, reports and menus is good
save its files to another directory.
(other possibility ended with &quot;save as&quot;)
Then I slow down computer twice run clock.prg:

* clock on to safer editing memo files
set clock on
retu

If error occur,
either copy back and repeat editing,
or rename appropriate .tmp files - time twins.

For example editing screen files myscreen
you change files myscreen.scx and myscreen.sct
After &quot;Memo is missing...&quot;
you see only myscreen.scx.
Sort file by time and next in same time is file
(for example) 54891247.tmp
Rename it to myscreen.sct and editing succesfully ended.
(similarly myreport.frt and mymenu.mnt).

(most simply develop version move to slowly computer..)
Tesar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back