Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydejones

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
Hi All,

I know you can print a certain number of lines of a Memo field. But, here's the question. Let's say I have a memo field that will cover 50 lines across a report, but I only have room to print 25 of those lines on an OLE object form and need to print the other 25 lines on another page. Any suggestions as to how to do this? Can I start printing from a certain line number of a Memo field?

Thank In Advance,
Clyde

Using Microsoft Text Driver you can create a datasource out of your memo file. You will be able to treat lines as records and manipulate with them using all power of CR.

That depends on your version of Crystal and the database used.

If it's 8.5 or below:

You might create 2 SQL Expressions that parse it into 2 fields.

In CR 9 you might parse it directly in a formula, but this depends on .

Not sure what you mean by an OLE Object form...

Are you speaking of a VB app, or?

Try posting technical information when requesting it.

-k

Thanks for the replys,

Sorry about not giving more info, but I didn't think it would matter in this case. I am using CR9 and the database is MS SQLServer 2000.

nagornyi, never heard of the Microsoft Text Driver. I'll have to look into that. Any links or suggestions as to where to look?

synapsevampire,
What I mean by OLE Object form is a state form was scanned then I got the form as an OLE Object and laid it on my CR9 form. The OLE Object does not grow.

Thanks Again,
Clyde

If on w2k, go to My Computer --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Datasources (ODBC). Go to the Drivers tab, there you will find Microsoft Text Driver.
On other systems the path to ODBC datasources may differ, but close to this.

The text driver comes with your OS.

As for printing 25 lines on the form, you might handle this with Overlay, I've not tried overlaying on an OLE Object.

I tend to regenerate forms within Crystal to avoid this type of thing.

-k

Thanks for the replys. I don't think the Microsoft Text Driver will work for me, but synapsevampire got me to thinkin

Clyde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back