Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotwal01

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
SE
Hello,

I have a problem with a memo field. If the text is more than 3 rows then it should be at another page. When I tried to do a formula for this I noticed that you can't use formulas with memo fields. Is there a way around this? I have to use more than 255 characters.

I use CR 8.5 and get the data from a stored procedure in SQL Server 7.

/Lotta

Manipulate the memeo field the way you want it in the stored procedure, then pass the data to crystal and you will be fine. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
714-348-0964
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

But I thought that CR couldn't handle more than 255 characters? How do you mean I should manipulate the memo field in the sp? It still has to have more than 255 characters.

/Lotta

CR cannot manipulate columns that are over 255, it can only display them. You have to split the memo field into pieces either in the database, or you can use CR SQL expressions in some environments to do this. Once it is split you can use the various pieces separately. There are some threads about this, and I wrote a brief explanation in my last newsletter. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back