Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo field question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimUK

Technical User
Jan 1, 2001
US
I have a report that I made for a workorder database. This report prints out daily entries made on workorders. As it is now it prints all entries in the memo field, which may be days or weeks worth of work.
My question is that I would only like to print the last entry made in a memo field called <ActionTaken> instead of all the text in the memo field.
Let me explain further: A certain workorder may be open for days and have many other entries in it. On this twice daily report (Days/Night shifts) if the crew worked on a particular workorder I would only like to have the latest entry for that shift to print on the report.
Is this possible?

Jim

You can base the report on a query that Groups By the Date field (or the combination of the date field and all other fields) and set the Total cell to 'Last' for the memo field.

The report should Group by date. Put the date in the group header, the LastOfMemofield in the group footer, and all other fields in the detail section.

Jim,
I would change the table structure so that each addition to your memo field would create a new record in a related table.

If all the entry is in the same field in the same record, how would you identify the "last entry"?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

I did assume (hope) his tables were already set up as such and that we are actually dealing with a WorkOrderDetails table.

This might suggest otherwise:
instead of all the text in the memo field
I expect/hope we will find out...

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

Duane,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I didn't think about this when I designed it. So, what would be the proper way to setup this new table so that entry would create a separate record for every entry into this field?
Table name is tblworkorders, field name is fldActionTaken?

Jim

You can create a table tblWOActions with a field for the primary key from tblWorkOrders. Other fields might be a date/time stamp, author, action taken,...

Duane MS Access MVP

Thanks Duane, I'll give it try.
Thanks for the input!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back