Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo field length

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkamp

Programmer
Jan 19, 2004
NL
Hello,

If I read the documentation then memo field in a Access table can be 65.000 chars long.
I have three memo fields in a linked ODBC table which is filled by a append query. The text in these field is cut off by 255 chars.
Does somebody know what the cause of this can be?

1. Is there a limitation/property where I can configure the length of Access memo field?

2. How can I trace that everything is send from the source? Maybe it's cut off at the source site. On this moment I don't know something about a Linked tabel.
Is there a sniffer or trace tool so that I can see what kind of data is realy send?

Thanks in advance

Nico

YOu could try create a pass-through query to your ODBC table.

Are you seeing the truncation directly in the datasheet view of the linked table or is this happening in a query. If it is occuring in a query, provide your SQL view.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Hello dhookom,

Till now I see the truncation directly in the datasheet view of the linked table. How can I see that this is happening in the query? It seems to me normal SQL query.

Nico

If this is happening directly in the table then it doesn't do any good to create a standard query to review. However, your statement about "normal SQL query" suggests your issue is in the query and not the table.

Did you try create a pass-through query?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Memo fields don't like queries! I use a fair number of them because I do medical informatics and deal with such things as progress notes, exam notes and so on. I've a reference file titled "MemoFieldAngst" which should give you some idea of the problem!

Crosstab queries, Summary queries, Union queries, and Queries that use Distinct or DistinctRow will all truncate a memo field to 255 characters so Access can perform the required functionality of eliminating duplicates.

Also, if you have specified a format in the field's Format property, this will often truncate the data as well.

If Unique Value Property is set to Yes, Access has to compare the values and therefore Memo Field values are truncated.

A great site from Allen Browne that deals with this more extensively and gives some work arounds is at:

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back