Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo field in report is limited 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dophia

Technical User
Jul 26, 2004
CA
Hi Everyone I am using Access 2003 and I have a query within a query to print a report. From researching other posts, it seems that this is the reason the memo field is limited to the size of a text field. But I don't know how to fix my query so that the memo field is complete.

Here is my query.

SELECT QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.Pound_Sheet_No, Max(QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.MaxOfAssessID) AS MaxOfMaxOfAssessID1, tblAssessment_Details.AssessDate, tblAnimals.Arrival_Date, tblAssessment_Details.AssessTypeCats, tblAssessment_Details.AssessTypeDogs, tblAssessment_Details.Friendly, tblAssessment_Details.Timid, tblAssessment_Details.Recommendation
FROM (tblAnimals INNER JOIN QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2 ON tblAnimals.Pound_Sheet_No = QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.Pound_Sheet_No) INNER JOIN tblAssessment_Details ON QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.MaxOfAssessID = tblAssessment_Details.AssessID
GROUP BY QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.Pound_Sheet_No, tblAssessment_Details.AssessDate, tblAnimals.Arrival_Date, tblAssessment_Details.AssessTypeCats, tblAssessment_Details.AssessTypeDogs, tblAssessment_Details.Friendly, tblAssessment_Details.Timid, tblAssessment_Details.Recommendation;

The "recommendation" field is a memo.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you,
Sophia

You must remove the GROUP BY on the Recommendation field. Try:
SQL:
SELECT QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.Pound_Sheet_No, 
  Max(QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.MaxOfAssessID) AS MaxOfMaxOfAssessID1,
  tblAssessment_Details.AssessDate, tblAnimals.Arrival_Date,
  tblAssessment_Details.AssessTypeCats, tblAssessment_Details.AssessTypeDogs,
  tblAssessment_Details.Friendly, tblAssessment_Details.Timid, First(tblAssessment_Details.Recommendation)  as Recommend
FROM (tblAnimals INNER JOIN QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2 ON tblAnimals.Pound_Sheet_No = QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.Pound_Sheet_No)
 INNER JOIN tblAssessment_Details ON QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.MaxOfAssessID = tblAssessment_Details.AssessID
GROUP BY QryAssessment_for_Latest_Pt2.Pound_Sheet_No, tblAssessment_Details.AssessDate, tblAnimals.Arrival_Date, tblAssessment_Details.AssessTypeCats, tblAssessment_Details.AssessTypeDogs, tblAssessment_Details.Friendly, tblAssessment_Details.Timid;

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanks for your help Duane. But now it asks for the "Enter paramater value" Recommendation.

I don't understand why.

I expect the issue is that there is no field/column in the query. The query has to rename the column since it is not in the GROUP BY. Change the field name in the report.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thank you Duane, it works perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back