Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo field 4000 chars issue in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixiegrrl

Programmer
Jul 31, 2008
US
Hello All,

I'm trying to display a memo field that is 4000 characters in Crystal Reports 2008, and it doesn't really work as expected. It doesn't work at all, acually. Crystal throws a non-descriptive error saying that it has stopped working.

I try just displaying the field in the details and it works without error, but gives me blank rows. So, the way my report is set up, I've created a group by ID, then a Maximum on this notes field, and problems seem to occur. I tried Cstr, ToText, then I tried various forms of limiting the length of the field like mid, left, subscript, and they all error. Are there any known issues with Maximum on a notes field for display purposes if the field exceeds a certain size? Or has anyone ran into this?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried turning on "Suppress if Blank" for your details section to see if that will get rid of the blank rows?

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Six-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Yes, I tried conditional suppression on the details, which works, but I would need to display the report at the Group level.

Instead of using "Max" on the field, I might try sorting on either the whole field or possibly the first 100 characters. Or, is there another field you could sort on in the table with the long text, such as a posted date or last modified date? If so, you could potentially sort descending on that field and be able to get the most recent version of the notes in the group header.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Six-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back