Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo data type questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrange

Programmer
Nov 15, 2006
CA
Hi, I had a few questions regarding a Memo data type for an access 2000 database.

How many characters can it store?
Can it accept special characters like ansi, new line or tabs?

Thanks.

Microsoft said:
Use the Memo data type if you need to store more than 255 characters. A Memo field can store up to 65,536 characters. If you want to store formatted text or long documents, you should create an OLE Object field instead of a Memo field.

You can use some special characters and new line, but tab characters are problematical.

Also be aware that memo fields are intended for just that, storing memo type data; notes, in other words. You don't want to store data in them if there's a chance you'll want to manipulate the data at some point. There are also problems associated with memo fields used in Queries. These notes are from a file in my reference folder named Memo Field Angst:

Crosstab queries, summary queries, Union queries, and Queries that use Distinct or DistinctRow will all truncate a memo field to 255 characters so Access can perform the required functionality of eliminating duplicates.

Also, if you have specified certain formats in the field's Format property, Access will truncate the data that is displayed.

If Unique Value Property is set to Yes, Access has to compare the values and therefore Memo Field values are truncated.

There are times when you have to use memo fileds, just be aware of their quirks.

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Since most queries in Access will truncate the contents of a Memo field, is there any way to sort through a db of memo fields using a query with the output displaying the full text.

I have build a simple databse to track and archive press clippings using the memo field to store the text. I need some way to sort through the entered information and output the full article text in a report. Are there any way to achieve this? Thanks.

MichaelPReid
This is not true in Access 2000, simple queries will output the full memo field, it is only certain queries that truncate memos. There was a post about this recently.

How do I know know what queries to use so that I can see the full text? Thanks.

Any simple query will work, it is only when some action, such as format, is performed on the memo that it is truncated:

* Select Distinct
* Group
* Union
* Format

I think that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back