Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MegaRaid 320 raid 10 with stripe (not span)

Status
Not open for further replies.

damjanster

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
SI
A year ago there was a debate going on weather LSI MegaRaid would support "true" Raid 10 (Adaptec-like) with stripping rather than spanning.
Does anyone know weather this feature had already happened?

Performance wise regarding DBs I'd rather use stripping. The spanning only gives you increased capacity, not performance.

MCP, MCSA, MCSA+M, MCSE 2003, RHCE C4

I know it supports spanning in raid 10. I am also quite familiar with the procedure. Weather this is so called native raid 10 or not is debatable. I know how adaptec makes raid 10 - it uses stripping+mirroring instead of spanning+mirroring. I believe stipping improves performance and increases space whereas spanning only gives you more space (in comparison to ordinary RAID 1 set).
Am I wrong? - I would really love to hear that LSI Megaraid's raid-10 is as fast as adaptec's, many experts told me otherwise since spanning is in use.

Stripping and spanning are the same meaning, for a raid 10 setup on an Lsi adapter.
With Lsi adapters, data is written across all disks equally as per stripe size in raid 10 and raid 5. Look at the benchmarks below, these speeds could only be obtained with stripping, with data spread equally over the disks. Notice the speed increases in the benchmarks below with the increase in the number of disks in arrays, this is verification the data is written across all disks..throughput would not increase otherwise.

Tons of benchmarks, site in Dutch but benchmarks English

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks! I have also read a manual by FSC that confirms that stripping is used. Now I can use RAID 10 with confidence. The first few generations of LSI raid controllers were using spanning and thus no performance increase was detected. Very happy that they changed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back