Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meet Me Feature Security Loop Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0bby

Technical User
Feb 10, 2005
GB
I am running CCM 4 and are utilising the Meet Me feature. When this is being used by members of staff, if someone knows this is in use they could potentially dial the Meet Me number and join in a private conversation.

Is there any way to look this down to stop other people entering the Meet Me conference call when all the relevant people have joined ?

Dont' think so B0bby. Meet me is completely open.

You might want to look at Cisco's Conference Centre application, which adds a lot of value to MeetMe/Ad-hoc conferencing.

Good luck.

You could - and I don't know if you want to get this involved in it - enter in MeetMe numbers in different partitions, and assign those partitions to groups of individuals. By doing this, you'd limit the number of people who can call specific MeetMe numbers...it's a thought. Doesn't completely get rid of the loophole, though.

TMH

What is MeetMe. I know it as a paging-feature in oldfashioned PABX...

MeetMe in Call Manager is a conferncing option. Instead of initiating a call then dialling out to add in particpants, you simply define a MeetMe extension and everyone dials that extension to be automatically added to the conference.

The first person to dial the meetme extension must initialise it first however, then everyone else simply dials the extension normally. You hear a beep-beep noise to indicate a new arrival.

It also works for extenal call dialling the full pstn code of the extension - they are added normally.

Main advantage is simplicity. It also scales better and is cheaper if lots of external people are participating - they're dialling you remember!

Disadvantage is security - once in progress, anyone can dial the number and be added to the conference. There are no security/identity options. Also, you can't remove people from the conference.

We have the same problem. We have 3 "Published" MeetMe numbers and 1 for management meetings. It's almost impossible for somebody to go through all 9999 numbers we have in our system to find the 1 MeetMe. It's not perfect. But it helps.

You can set it up so that the person who initiated the conference will hear the names of the callers, then decide to allow them into the conference.

Set up a Call Handler and put a DID in the extension field. Under the Transfer option, select Yes, transfer to subscribers extension. That extension should be the meet me number. Select Transfer Type (Supervised. Make sure that you select the announce, confirm and ask callers name under the transfer options. Now, an extenal caller dials the DID, is prompted to state their name. The initiator (and all on the call) hears that there is a call from XXXX, press 1 to accept....

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back