Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

media wiki image upload error with apache http server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergywei

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2010
US
I've posted this question in the general Linux forum and someone suggested that I may also post in the apache web server forum. this question is a mix of media wiki and apache web server

I'm having issue with media wiki image upload folder permission. when uploading an image, media wiki is not doing anything, apache server is one that grab the image and writes to the folder /var/ Am i understaning this correctly?

I'm running:
media wiki 1.15
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.48
Apache/2.2.16 (Unix)
php version 5.3.3 OS: F
Linux 2.6.34.6-54.fc13.i686.PAE

I got error message "The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver."
I'd like to know
1. which folder is the image uploader tries write to? Is it the 'images' folder located in /var/ ? /var/ is my default web folder.

2. I have already set the folder and sub folder permission for 'images' to 777, but i still can't upload anything. the folder is owned by root but 777 should allow anyone to write anything to it?

I've confirmed that apache server is running as apache of group apache. i've changed ownership of the folder 'images' to apache and folder permission to 777 starting from /var/ --> wiki --> images --> all sub-folders, but still not working.

there is no variable $wgUploadPath in LocalSettings.php, I added it in with the path /var/ still not working.

I created a password for user apache and 'su' as apache. I got this error message:

[luw@southpole images]$ su apache
Password:
This account is currently not available.

Could this be the root of the problem? how do i fix it?

many thanks.

Lu

Give "apache" a valid shell. System accounts are not typically allowed to log in interactively.

can you tell me how do i do that? thanks

problem solved. SE LINUX is blocking http to access the folder
once I set SE linux to permissive or blocked, then upload is working.

Ive given you a star for finding the soulution for yourself ( & posting it back here for others)

SELinux can often cause things to fail when they look like they should be ok. I gusess this is the price that has to be paid to keep out the <insert derogetory expletives of your choice> :)

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back