Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Unrecognisable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggz

MIS
Oct 5, 2007
GB
Hi,

even though I had the IBM engineer out to fit a new drive, and the drive was cleaned also, after I have finally completed one cycle of tapes, when I go to put the first tape i used in, to start another cycle at any given time, it tells me the media is 'Uncognisable' and to 'Remove media and Respond OK'

Now...I'm not sure if its just me at this poing. If I am using a brand new tape, I assume i just label it, and put it in the right media set. Then when it is used (which is the state of play im at now) I go through the rest of the media set, as a cycle. However the problem has occured when I have come around to using the aforementioned 'new' tape again.

It doesn't want to Load due to this uncognisable media error.

Any ideas, or am I missing something in the setup procedures of using a new tape.

Cheers

Craig

I am being vague here but I seem to think this problem is related to a patch that needs applying to a version of BE, the error rings a bell. What version are you running and is it all patched and upto date, as I said, vague, but hope it may help a little.

Cheers

Well.....the thing is....its only just starting.....its an old version i think.... version 7.3

We have changed nothing...and it works but the second time around it doesnt seem to want to know

Cheers

Wiggz

We had a similar problem when running 7.3 If a backup failed for any reason, in the middle of a backup job, the tape became "unrecognizable media" and was toast. Anything on the tape was lost. An erase on the tape made it usable again. When posting to the Veritas site at the time, there were no fixes... and yes they said it could (and did) happen. The problem didn't go away until we upgraded the server and went to BE 8.0

Check event viewer-->system log in Windows for any events with a source of your tape drive or SCSI card. Any with event id 7, 9, 11, 15 are hardware errors. See MS-Q154690 for event id 9, 11 errors. If there are no errors, check the Veritas HCL at to see if your 'new' drive is on the HCL for your version of BE.
If it isn't, check for updated drivers for your version of BE. The Veritas page that has the drivers will list the new hardware and discontinued hardware. Update drivers for SCSI card, and latest Veritas drivers. Also update firmware on SCSI card and tapedrive to latest. If you can upgrade BE to latest build in your family, do so; they can also be downloaded at support.veritas.com.

Later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back