Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Pool and rotation question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarpent

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
Configuration
Software: BrightStor Arcserve Backup for Linux 11.5 SP2
Hardware: 2 ADIC FastStor 8 slot labries connected to one Dual controller.
Controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 07)

The goal to run 2 full backups at the same time to each library which has one tapedrive.

I would like my backup to run Sunday to Friday. (Full backups only) I have 2 FastStor 2 8 slot Libraries connected to one dual controller.
I would like to kick of 2 backups a minute apart and the backups run to each tape drive. Also I would like to have the tapes formated before the backups are kicked off.

1) So far I have a group created for Each Drive group 0 for drive 0 and group1 for Drive 1. Both are on the same controller.
2) Next I would like to create a Media Pool
How would I do this? Am I going in the right direction? I would like to keep this as seamless as possible. Meaning I would like to load tapes into the drive and let CA do the rest?

Thanks again for your advice and help.

I'm not up on the Linux version so here is a response from someone who is.

What does he mean by:

The goal to run 2 full backups at the same time to each library which has one tapedrive

Does he intend to run 2 duplicate backups, one to each library?

Rather than create a custom job with a media pool, he should create a weekly Rotation job, for each backup.
The Rotation job will create its own mediapool.
He can set the job for six days, full backup, excluding
Saturdays.

He would run Quick Erase Plus on his 6 tapes
once. Thereafter the backups will reuse the prior weeks’s
tape. Monday on Monday, etc.

The above assumes that he will not use more than 1 tape per backup. He can use the remaining 2 tapes for special, run once, backups.

Or run QEP on them and have them available as spare tapes. If a backup cannot get the needed daily tape for some reason, (tape error maybe), BAB will use the available blank tape for the job.

Finally, I would space the backups by at least a half hour.

Especially if he is going to backup the same servers in each backup.

Another thought, if he is going to be duplicating the backups, why not use the tapecopy option?

He should check the BAB Backup Window help menu to get a better idea of of how the Rotation backup and Custom backups work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back