Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

media players 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhsatt

Technical User
Aug 3, 2003
US
is there a media player that works best with win2k? And will my machine default to it if I uninstall windows media player?

I use WinAmp 3, but that is just my preference. However it is a pretty good media player.

I personally wouldn't delete Windows Media Player. If you install another player and set it to default, Windows Media can co-exist with no problems.

It is better to just leave it, install another player and set the new player to default.

For video, my preference is BSPlayer. It seems to have better features than anything else I've tried. I have a slow system for playing DivX files, and I've noticed BSPlayer has the best audio syncing when CPU time gets tight. It can handle multiple audio tracks, and if you want it can switch the video mode like a game would do when playing full screen. It also has an option to correct aspect ratios. However, I have occasionally had it crash.
I've tried Vidomi, I got it because I needed something that supported multiple audio tracks, but I later found BSPlayer and decided I liked it better.
I tried WinAmp 3 for a while, but it was a little slower and I ran into a problem with videos that use YUV color coding. I found I liked WinAmp 2 better for mp3s, so I switched back and it remains my favorite for sound files.

I don't think uninstalling Windows Media Player will cause anything else to become the default. To set a new default you just need to tell the new program to do so, or right click the file you're trying to open and "Open With"->"Choose Program"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back