Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Players slowing computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodge8604

Technical User
Nov 30, 2005
US
I'm running XP Home, with a harddrive that doesn't have alot of stuff on it yet. Everytime i try to run some type of media player (realplayer, WMP) my computer slows to almost a freeze.

I'm pretty much clueless on anything that it could possibly be. If anyone knows anything please let me know, THANKS!

-US Army-
-82nd Airborne-
-Infantry-
enough said.....

Hi Dodge,
I'm not sure what you're running for AV or AS. You can get good AntiVirus,Spyware,& Rootkt from I hate to beat a dead horse, but that's usually the 1st thing I check.
Windows Defender is another excellent free AntiSpyware app available from MS as well as Spybot S & D. You might also want to download & run System Processsor at:
It will give you more detail as to what processes are running, how much resources that app is eating up & what company created it.
Another great free download is Belarc Advisor. It will give you a detailed profile of your system.
If that doesn't help, download Hijack This @ and post your log here.

Keep up the great work your doing.

Bob B-)

Remember, if you can’t stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! [medal]

You may also want to check if there is an updated driver for your video card.

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Awesome I'll try those suggestions, thanks alot fellas yall are always great help!

-US Army-
-82nd Airborne-
-Infantry-
enough said.....

I think I've kinda narrowed it down now.

I can start the Media Players just fine but when I go to play any type of media, it becomes really unrepsonsive and slow. Not sure if this could be a plug-in problem or not.

-US Army-
-82nd Airborne-
-Infantry-
enough said.....

Remove your CDROM as a slave of your hard drive. Make it a master on the secondary channel.

if the above suggestions do not work...

then check the DMA settings for your Primary and Secondary IDE channels... when the transfer rate is set to PIO by the OS (happens when XP detects more than 5 DMA errors within a certain time period), things can get bogged down like you are experiencing...

Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller > (whatever your hardware is here DOUBLE CLICK) under one of the tabs you will find the DMA setting...

if it is set to PIO mode, then deinstall the driver for it using the device manager and reboot... windows will resort it out for you and reset the transfer rate to DMA...

another thing comes to mind... possible corrupted CODECS... go to and download the KLITE Mega Codec Pack or one similar and install it...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Are you only talking about CD's etc? How does it play media files that are on your hard drive? Are the files you have in the My Music folder a problem to play?

No, not CDs...well it would probably do it with them too but its only when I try to play videos is when it does it. And only realplayer, WMP, and quicktime do it, it also does it with those same players when the video is imbedded on a website. I can play music just fine from all of my media players. And all the music I have is in my "My Music" folder and it plays just fine.

Thanks for the help

-US Army-
-82nd Airborne-
-Infantry-
enough said.....

811982 - How to troubleshoot playback in Windows Media Player 9

Have a good look around the whole of this site, it is the best WMP troubleshooting site on the Planet.

You can wade through these if you like.

Run the DxDiag from the Start Run box, see if that picks up anything.

DirectX: Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Use MsInfo32 the same way too.

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors. Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

I wonder if your three programs are conflicting with each other, perhaps you could consider unistalling 2 of the 3 if nothing else helps?

I dunno if this helps any but EVERYTHING else runs fine on my computer except when I try to play videos thru WMP or quicktime. I don't think it would be my VGA driver because all my games run great. Nothing with the sound card for sure. I really don't know enough to narrow it down myself but if yall need to know more info about my system let me know.

Thanks alot!

-US Army-
-82nd Airborne-
-Infantry-
enough said.....

Okay, well looked in my Event Viewer and I see a few "Application Hangs" in there, errors of course. They are all with WMP and quicktime too. Also, I did uninstall realplayer so that it and WMP dont conflict like linney said. But from here since I know its an error, I dont know what to do...

Thanks again I hope this helps you all help me! :D

-US Army-
-82nd Airborne-
-Infantry-
enough said.....

please post the ERROR here, so that we may take a look at it and suggest a remedy...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Well I got it fixed, apparently it was a driver issue. I just updated with the Sept. 17th update (I didn't even know about it until someone said there was a new one out) but anyways, I then rolled back to WMP 9, then reinstalled WMP 11 and everything works fine now!

Thank you guys so much, this problem was starting to really get on my nerves. Keep doin what yall are doin!

-US Army-
-82nd Airborne-
-Infantry-
enough said.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back