Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Player 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISdad

Technical User
May 5, 2004
I have a wierd problem that just started. I use multiple profiles on my XP Pro box to manage mine and my wife's mp3 players. Each gets its own WMP library to synch with. It's been working great until last night. Media Player will only start up if I'm logged in under the main user profile. It's not a profile issue because I created a new user and WMP won't start there either. Under the new user profile if I right click WMP and select "Run As" and use the credentials for the main profile it will start but I get the main user WMP database. I've scanned for viruses and spyware and didn't find anything there. It looks like some sort of permissions/security issue but I can't figure it out. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Is System Restore an option?

What happens if you temporarily promote the other user to Administrator?

Although the Sound Driver might not load in Safe Mode, does WMP load in Safe Mode for a Limited User? To access that account via Safe Mode you will probably have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice or use the Classic Login box.

Are there any clues in the Event Viewer, especially any Security logs?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

You could look at this thread pertaining to uninstalling WMP 11 and then reinstall it.

Windows Media Player 11
thread779-1522052

Well, I found out what the problem was. Apparently something changed the permissions in the registry. I did a scan for viruses and spyware/adware but I guess that doesn't mean much. Anyway I used regedit and gave all the users on my computer access to the Classes entries. Once I did that media player started working for all users again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back