Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media not recognisable....worked before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggz

MIS
Oct 5, 2007
GB
Hi all,

I keep getting this Media is not Recognisable error whenit comes to backups. I have tried new tapes, and nothing seems to work. We do a daily backup and use the same method we always have...we have been unable to do a backup by this method for around 1 month now. Althought for some reason last week, it just worked and allowed a backup to work.

Any ideas

(Tried the tape that worked again on the next rotation, and it didnt work again...just sticks at the loading action)

Cheers in advance.....need big time help with this ;o)

Wiggz

Sounds similar to mine -- for past 5 days -- Backups ; even if told to "run now", stay either QUEUED forever and ever --or else they say 'running' or 'checkng for cleaning media' and preoceed no further...

I have an eight-slot magazine, usually with a cleaning tape -- but it is legal to just have 7 data tapes and NO cleaning tape in the magazine -- I have tried it like that -- like hoping to tell it "Look -- I aint using a cleraning cartrdige"

but it has a mind of it's own...

damn this software

Thx for replying.

My drive is found by the bus, so i know thats ok....and spontaneously it worked for no reason the other week, however it doesnt recognise any media when i stick it in....or a cleaning tape...doesnt start anything up....and bastard NT4 doesnt let me update the firmware easily ....

*sobbing*

Got the IBM Engi to come out and take a look, they can bloody sort it!

Cheers

Wiggz

sometimes out of sheer desperation I have STOPPED ALL OF THE backup-Exec- related SERVICES til they're all gone and then re-started them

and then it could see the drive again

but this has only worked two or three times out of a dozen times when it didn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back