Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Mount Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I am using Backup Exec V8 and I am currently backing up around 22Gb. As far as I can tell, everything is backing up successfully but it then pops the tape out stating that the 'media mount failed'. It happens before it gets chance to verify the data.

Has this happened to anyone else and is there a solution?

I have just changed tapes and I clean the DAT drive regularly.

Please help....:)

Are you running a 20/40 drive by any chance? If so, you just ran out of room. It pops the tape out looking for another and then can't verify the ejected tape.

I have a very similar problem with BUExec 8.6. I am using a Cybernetics Dual tape drive (CY-8000) with a pair of Sony SDX-300C drives. The tapes are 25 native, 50 compressed and I am attempting to back up about 40 gig of data, most of which is not already compressed. I am using hardware compression but have tested every other flavor of compression. I have worked for over a month with the tape drive manufacturer and Veritas with no solution. I do get the "Media Mount Failed" message but my problem seems different in the fact that this failure is random. Some nights I back up the complete 40 gig with no problem. Most of the time I will get the mount failure anywhere between 9 and 40 gig. it's a very inconsistent problem and a very vague error message that has Veritas all confused. Can anyone offer any advice or information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back