Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Manager error when using RMAN after backup change to disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tklinz2001

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2009
US
We recently changed the Oracle backup location to an external disk share instead of the same machine that the database is located on. I made the change within EM specifying the backup location under disk backup location.
The backup runs fine, but my problem is when using RMAN. Whenever I try and connect using RMAN and do something simple like report obsolete, I receive the following error:
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library

Is there something separate that needs to be installed or linked for managing the backups on a separate share?
Oracle is 10g
Servers are Win 2003

Thanks in advance

My guess is that the configuration you did in EM to get the backups written to the external disk has changed your default device type from disk to sbt_tape. If so, you should be able to change this for the duration of your rman session by explicitly overriding the default via the command

Code:
ALLOCATE CHANNEL FOR MAINTENANCE DEVICE TYPE DISK;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back