Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media is instantly ejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellboy

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
GB

Has anyone experienced the following.

I formatted 4 tapes, 1 maxell and 3 fujifilm, all media were formatted through BE v8.6 on a Compaq W2K box with an external HP Surestore DLT 80 device.

When I insert any of the media into my Exchange Box, Dell with a built in Benchamrk 1 DLT device the media is instantly ejected.

If I insert a tape into the Exchange box that has been formatted through Arcserve on a Dell with a built in Benchmark 1 DLT the tape is accepted, if I insert a new tape the tape is accepted.

It would appear that the combination of a Compaq box and a HP Surestore external device are preventing the Dell with onboard DLT accepting the tapes. I did however believe that the tape formatting was all Software ie BE v8.6 related and the hardware didn't come into it.

If anyone has experienced this problem before could you let me know how you resolved it, is there a manual over-ride somewhere to force the machine to accept the tape and then I can attempt a reformat. The tape device is not broken as it accepts alternative tapes and ran a successful backup last night.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

I have an HP Surestore and they will not accept media that is not compatible with the drive for example some of the older DLT III tapes will not work in the new HP drives because they require the new tape format the DLT IV or V... If you put the older tapes in some of the newer drives it just kicks it out

Spoke to Veritas and they suggest that because the HP SureStore 80 has a base setting on media of 80Gb putting the media into a server with a 40/80gb drive causes problems. The 40/80 drive can not recognise or accept the media as the base is 80GB not 40Gb, expandable upto 80, not too sure myself. Let you know how I get on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back