Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Gateway Utility MGC ethernet ports 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisasterMaster

Technical User
Feb 2, 2012
US
I have a CS1000E on release 7.6. I also have system manager, maintenance terminal and PuTTY access. I'm trying to identify the eLan and tLan IP Addresses for the MGU (media gateway utility card) within my MG1010 shelf. Where can I find this info within element manager or thru the maintenance terminal or a PuTTY session?

I'm no 1010 expert but just doing some reading those ELAN and TLAN ports should be defined under Media Gateways in Element Mangler

Thanks for the info, however; that is for IPMGs not the MGU (media gateway utility). It will probably have to serial in to get the info.

I thought the MGU is basically configured as IPMG?

Never mind, I see you also have an MGC card in there also. So I'm scouring the documents for my benefit as well and I'm trying to find out exactly what those 2 ethernet ports actually do. All it talks about is Dual Homing basically.

The MGU doesn't have IP addresses. The ELAN & TLAN ports on the MGU connect to the Embedded Ethernet switch on MGC card. From the oam> prompt on the MGC, mgcinfoshow will give you the MGC & Call Server IP addresses.

So the question remains, what are those ports for? And why do you need to connect them?

Never mind, I think I get it now. The MGU acts as a backup ethernet switch for the MGC card in case the primary fails, right?

Almost. The MGU just provides a connection to the 10 port Ethernet switch on the MGC.

You don't have to use the MGU ports but can for Dual Homing - connect one network path to the ELAN & TLAN ports on the front of the MGC and a second network path to the ports on the MGU. If one path goes down, the MGC Ethernet switch transfers to the active connection.

It took some digging to figure it out but I found these two sketches to be helpful.

Figure 163 in NN43001-311_06_01_CS1000_Circuit_Card_Reference.pdf shows the connections to the MGC Ethernet switch. The MGU ports connect to the Backplane Ethernet ports shown at the bottom of the switch.

Figure 190 in NN43041-310_06_01_Installation_Commissioning_CS1000E.pdf shows an MGU used for Dual Homing. One network switch connects to 1E & 2T on the MGC and the second connects to the MGU. Depending on your configuration, you could also use media converters or or a separate network for the second path.

oam>ethportshow will show you which ports of the 10 port Ethernet switch are in use.

The oam commands are described in Chapter 36 of the Maintenance I/O book NN43001-711_06_01_CS1000_ Software_Input_Output_Ref_Maint_7_6.pdf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back