Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Compression Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

waricka

MIS
Mar 11, 2003
US
We are using Arcserve 6.61 and a DLT 7000 tape drive (hardware compression enabled)for one of our backup solutions. Once this backup job hits about 80GB of data the job spans to a second tape and finishes off around 100GB. When reviewing the arcserve log it show that the media compression ratio for the job was 2.37. I am a bit confused because if this were really the case then roughly 43GB of compressed data would be written to tape throughout the course of the job, since a DLT 7000 can write 70GB of compressed data to tape then the job should not need to span to a second tape? Right? I am trying to figure out exactly what arccserve it telling me when it says "media compression ratio 2.37"? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

The 70 in a DLT 35/70 represents how much data can be put on tape based off 2:1 compression. This however, is often not the case in real life - as the amount of data compression is highly dependant on data type. Try to backup a disk full of .zip files, you'll get no compression. Backup a disk full of .txt files, you'll get 100:1 compression.

In this case ARCserve is stating you are getting 2.37:1 compression. Based off native capacity of 35 gigs - that means you should be getting roughly 83 gigs on each tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back