Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Center's Annoying Thumbnail View in Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I have at least 200 videos and when I view them with Media Center, it takes forever to scroll when deciding which one to watch. Then add the fact that I watch this over the xbox adds even more of a headache. Why can it not just LIST the files insead of showing thumbnails?

Is this possible in version 7?

Hi

You might find it easier to open the files from the folder they are in.

Set the folder view to "List" and then just select the video you want to open, right click and select play.

This is the way that I have always done it.

Mike

You could also look into alternative media center applications, such as
I believe XBMC was originally started on XBOX, and then moved to supporting Windows and Linux.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Anything here?

Windows 7 - Disabling thumbnails?

Better Thumbnails for MKV Files in Windows Media Center

How to Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 7 Explorer

Checked those out and they don't apply.

The first two links apply to Media Center the third is just a general link.

If the first link doesn't work for you, the second one which talks about clearing the cache and substituting quicker loading .jpg files sounds like a worthwhile workaround, as there is not too much information around on actually disabling thumbnails in WMC.

I'll give these a try tonight when I get home. Thanks for all the suggesetions!

I run Windows 7 MCE and have an XBMC upstairs and have no issues.

What I have found is that the first time I go to a new directory, if I just let it build the thumbnails (which may take a few minutes), they're there after that, and load almost instantly.

Just let it build the thumbnails for the folder (be patient) and see if that speeds up the problem later.

You can optionally just open the folder in explorer, and switch to thumbnail view, and let the thumbnails build there also.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I have no way of opening anything in explorer as my issue is with displaying the video lists on my Xbox 360's Media Centre.

Ahh... don't know a whole lot about the 360's media center, other than the fact I didn't like it.

My XBMC running on the original xbox, I just turn off thumbnails. On my system (I'm not sure about the 360), the XBOX builds the icons; it doesn't use the windows icons.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back