Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Agent Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfokker

MIS
Aug 27, 2007
US
My server which currently controls my backups is reaching the end of service this December. I have currently ordered a new server to serve as my new Media agent and a new 15TB disk array. I am keeping the same Library and extending the service contract. Since i have never replaced the Media Agent Server before, we have had the same server since Commvault was installed in my organization 3 years ago, how would I migrate Commvault to the new server. Obviously I realize i have to build the new server, install updates, install Commvault and then I'm a little bit hazy on what happens next. Any help would be appreciated or if you can point me in the direction of some documentation that would help too. Currently our support for Commvault is through Dell which I will probably be giving a call to also.

You should be able to:

1. Build new server with new Mag Lib and access to Library
2. Introduce the new server as a 2nd Media Agent and configure new data path(s) in your Storage Policy(s) - you'll need to keep the same SP.
3. Migrate the original Mag Lib to the new Mag Lib.
4. Once you're happy that the new Data Path(s) are working as intended you should be able to decommission the original MA.

Jon

Hi

Depends on what type of configuration and datapaths you have.

As jjjon states above, your first job is follow steps 1+2

If it is direct attached disk, then it's probably best to perform a aux copy of the old datapath (maglib) to the new datapath since you don’t want to risk losing the data as you physically move the drives...you can then just promote the aux copy to be the primary copy

If the maglib is on a network share or SAN attached LUN then you should be able to use the move library method in Books Online

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

Also, you said media agent but just making sure is your commserve located on the same machine or another?

Yes the Media agent and Commserver are on the same machine.

You would need to do a "DR Backup" to tape or something first. Then you could install a new commserve and do a DR restore. You might want to call commvault and just make sure you got all the steps right and in the right order.

yes. I thought the same thing. Since I only have a license for one media agent and plan to name the server the same and have to give it the same IP#. Unfortunately I do not have Commvault support directly but through Dell and the documentation I found was pretty vauge. I have about a month to plan it all out since the hardware arrived today.

Ok, well you got the basics down. Name the new server the same name and use the same IP. Install commvault like you had previously and do a DR restore.

If the CS and MA are the same machine do not install both components before restoring the DR backup.

Install the CS.
Restore the database.
Install the MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back