Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measuring scalability of MPI program

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatingFeather

Programmer
Apr 17, 2017
AR
Hi. I have been measuring the scalability of some codes I have written in Fortran, and parallelized with MPI.

The thing is if I have been doing it properly (the code scales, however, I would expect it to scale a little bit more with the number of processors).

I am using an amd ryzen 7 1700 8 core processor, but I have also tested the code in a clustar with up to 80 cores.

The doubt I have is if when I run my code in the 8 processors in my ryzen cpu, each core will be working at the same frequency than working only with one. And I think that actually it doesn't, because I've read many times that the ryzen cpus, and threadripper, have some "boost" frequency (I think that you reach that by overclocking), and a base frequency, and even the benchmarks show that multitasking doesn't score as much as multiplying the performance of one clock per the number of clocks.

So, if I want to study scalability correctly, I should actually know the clock speed at which the cpu is working in each case. Also, I think it isn't the same if I put the cpu to work with the 8 cores, and let it run while I use the internet, that if it is running with nothing else going around.

Has somebody here made this type of scalability studies?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back