Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

measuring media errors on 100Base-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

g33man

Programmer
Dec 22, 2006
CA
Hi all,
Is there any way to measure media errors at a PC? I sometimes experience disconnects from the server, and the techs tend to blame the drop, or patch cable. I've been looking for some network software (Win32) that will watch my NIC, but cannot find anything that reports media errors. I'm now wondering if the NIC deals with these internally, and does not report up to the O/S.

Is there a better way to approach this problem?
Thanks

p.s. using IBM computers with Cisco switches, 100Base-T.

It is a sure bet that the Cisco Switch has media error reporting. It is harder to guess if yur computer does as you do not list a make or model for the computer or the make and model of the NIC in it.

It will be a feature of the NIC's software, if it exists.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

If you could take a look at the Cisco's switchport interface your connected to in the Cisco IOS, you would see the port statistics, transmit and receive errors, interface resets, etc...

Thanks all. I do not have access to the Cisco switch so must focus on the computer. It is an X200 Tablet with integrated NIC. I looked at the driver (Vista) and there isn't a counter for h/w errors.
I did install Wireshark, and had it watch the NIC. Tons of traffic coming down, but I have not figured how to limit the filter to just media errors (if Wireshark can even see those). Testing continues.....

Interest in my query is totally appreciated.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back