Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

meaning of importing a universe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssibo

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
SN
I'm learning designer. I understand that when u export a universe all the users of the repository can access to it.
But what's the meaning of importing a universe?

Picking it from the repository Stick to your guns

Hi ,
When you export the universe only user in the group as the designer by default has access to the universe. May be in your case all users are either belonging to same group or no group is present that you have come to this conclusion of universal access.
You start designing the universe and a file is created on your HD in the "Universe" folder. Now when you start making the report BO shows a list of universes. This list is build from the list of universes in this folder and the universe in the repository to which you have access to. Now when you export the universe, the file from your hard disk undergo changes(not sure the exact nature of change but surely the size reduces) and is moved into a subfolder inside "Universe". The name of this subfolder is the name of the Universe Domain you have exported the universe to. Since in 99% cases we keep use the default Universe its name is also "Universe". So now when you again see the list the Universe name will appear only once i.e. from the repository and not from the "Universe" folder.
Now th make any modification in the universe the recommended way is to always import the Universe from the repository. Do not change the folder it which its being imported to. And make changes and then export it back.
From experience i have found that once your export then opening the universe from the subfolder can corrupt the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back