Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ME/XP Pro upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggy6ear

Technical User
Oct 21, 2003
GB
My ME system became corrupt and wouldn't boot. I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade to XP Pro and purchased the latest version. I installed it over the ME system so that I retained all my existing files. It seems to have worked OK except I cannot get any ICONs on my desktop, except for the Recycle Bin, and the start menu/programs does not show many programs. Should I have formatted the hard drive and installed XP cleanly? I do have the critical data backed up.

Try reinstalling Xp in the new directory, then just back up filse that are critical, and to be on the safe side (so you do not carry over OLD problems) reformat drive and do Clean Install

Hope this helps

I gotta second that wipe/clean install method. Upgrading over an existing install in my experience has far less than stellar results. I know I wouldn't trust the stability of an "upgraded" system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back