Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ME Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdy

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
I have been using Windows ME in a Gateway P3 computer for some time now. Recently, I been having problems with various programs freezing and the computer just not operating as it should. I have also noticed that most of the time, I am unable to use my cd-r.

I still have my OS disc and was wondering if maybe I ought to reinstall Windows ME and all of my programs. As you can tell, I am not a computer whiz, but I am able to follow instructions pretty well. I guess my question is, how do I uninstall Windows ME and clear my C drive of all information and then, I guess, reformat it.

I may be missing some things that I need to do. I would really appreciate some help on this, as I do not want to buy another computer. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do not really have any critical information on my computer, so I can get by with just eliminating whatever is on the drive right now.

If this is a system restore cd, just restart the computer with the cd in the drive, and make sure the computer is set to boot off the drive (you can set/view this setting in your cmos setup). When the computer first turns on, it should tell you what key to hit to enter the system/cmos setup. Usually delete key. In here, make sure the cd drive is the first boot device. If you have troubles reading the drive still, you might want to replace it and/or inspect the cable it is connected to.

Anyways, boot off the restore cd, an look for the option to restore the os from scratch.

If its an actual ME disk, here are the instructions...

So make a windows me bootdisk from add/remove programs.
I'd make a couple. Test them, make sure you can access the cd-rom from dos mode. Will probably be drive e or f. If you have problems reading the cd-r, and this is the only cd drive, you might have to swap the drive with a new one.

Assuming the hardware is good, from dos, the following command will format your c: drive. So, if you boot off the floppy, you should be at an a:\ prompt.

format c:

It will then prompt you to format the whole drive, say yes, it will take several minutes or more. When its done, it will ask for a drive name/label. Just hit enter. Now type the command

sys c:

This will transfer the system files making the drive bootable.

Now, we need to access the cd drive. So, the cd drive will probably be e: or f: (windows me bootdisks create a ramdrive that usually takes the letter d:, so your cd drive will be the next one). Okay, now lets assume the cd drive is e:

cd e:
dir

This will display the contents of the cd. Look for a folder that says win9x. Type these next

cd win9x
c:md win9x
cd win9x
xcopy /e e:

This goes into the windows directory on the cd, then you switch back to the c: drive. Then, you are making a folder on the c: drive, then you are going into that folder. The last command copies the files off the cd drive to the folder you are at in the c: drive. Remember, e: could be d: or f:.

Need anything clarified, post back. Hope its clear.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Sorry, I left the last part out...

Restart the pc after removing the floppy. This will boot to dos, off the hard drive. Type \win9x\setup.exe

This will run setup.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Matt,

Since most Me systems were OEM, your advice is should be followed by 99% of all users.

You make the point that there is a proper use of restore cd's and also make the point that someone needs to read the instructions.

I run Me installs with no problems after tweaking a bit and like the OS. That's a personal opinion and has no bearing on your advice.

Your advice is timely and proper. And, by Gawd, it deserves a star from someone who doesn't care for stars.

Good job.

Skip

Thanks for the star. I personally like ME for home use. Its a 9x kernel, so its a lot faster than 2000/XP. It bites in the business enviornment, because many applications never worked well on it. For home it works fine. I see a lot of posts of people that hate it. Well, of course it will run like crap if you have 10 things in your startup and spyware, or if was preloaded on some HP Pavilion with a bunch of other apps loaded... A clean installation runs very well. Had mine 2 years before my hard disk finally died. Works better than 98 with multimedia hardware.

Again, home use great, business use bad...

My personal opinion.

Matt J.

Speaking of HP, ran across a HP Laptop with Win ME that had a variety of errors...booting, IE and locking up. I tried to reload the system and that didn't really fix anything. I believe it has a recover(or something) partition. Can I boot to a floppy disk, erase(format) c drive and somehow reload from recover partition? The owner doesn't have any cd's that come with the machine.

Thanks for any advice.
Shane G.

You might be able to reload if you find a win9x directory with all of the cab files and setup.exe program.

Matt J.

Ya, that is what I meant with my first statement. Sorry I didnt' make that clear. I just ran the "setup.exe" from the folder that contains the cab file. Seem to reload windows and everything pretty good but still having some of the problems.

I'm thinking I need to blow it away completely. Think I can run "rebuild"(format c: and reload) the windows partion from the recovery partition. Anybody have experience with how HP setups up their systems? Will this work?

Thanks,
Shane

I think you need to burn that folder to a cd, then make a 9x bootdisk with cd-rom support. You can get one from
You could pull the drive and attach it to a system that has a burner if this one doesn't.

Once you have it, test it to make sure the setup launches before you format.

Then, boot off the floppy, format it, then sys the drive to make it bootable, copy the win9x folder to the new c: drive, reboot off the drive (not the floppy), and run setup.

Doubt you can do anything with the recovery partition.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back