Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ME hanging on startup 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjulie

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
ZA
I origionally posted this query about photopaint, but have also had problems with ME hanging on startup

I am using Windows Millenium now but had the same problem with Windows 98 V2.
When using Corel Photopaint 9, the programme is shut down with the following two messages-neither of which gives reasons.

1. Photopaint has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL.
Photopaint will now close.

2. Photopaint has caused an error in MFC42.DLL.
Photopaint will now close.

I have removed various programmes and add-ons to find out if anything else has caused the problems.

Since removing Microsoft Intellipoint3.2 I have had no more problems with the start up or Photopaint 9, and the mouse is working fine with the standard programme.

Have you tried replaceing MSVCRT.DLL and MFC42.DLL, these dll's could be the problem

Thank you for responding. Windows ME will not allow these two files to be replaced, The only real answer is to format the hard drive and load Windows 98.I can't load Windows 2K because I cant find the right driver for the hard drive.

Have you looked at the attributes of the files. If they are marked Read Only you will have to uncheck that box before you try and replace them. Make sure you when you run windows explorer that you check view all files. VTJ

Thank you for you response.
I can view all file types including system files and the two files are marked "archive".
WMe. won't allow any interference on these two files.

Jules

Hey bigjulie -

I had a problem that had me looking for a way to replace Windows ME system files which were in use by the OS. Under normal circumstances, the OS will not allow any changes to any system files in use. There is a way to overwrite those files with the originals from the distribution disk or the recovery directories, however. You need to create a Windows ME Boot Disk on a floppy disk.

The process is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article #Q265371 [How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me] and there is further, more detailed info on it in article #Q129605 [How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files]. Go to the Microsoft support website at and search for the articles.

I actually had to extract the files from the .CAB archives to a temporary directory before I could boot with the diskette and overwrite the "live" copies.

FYI, the problem I was having was I was getting the msg.
&quot;The POPEXAM.DLL file is linked to missing export MFC42.DLL: <####>&quot; (the # characters replace digits which I can't remember).

While trying to replace the MFC42.DLL file, I got a further similar problem with the same file you're having trouble with: &quot;The MSVCIRT.DLL file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL: <####>&quot;

I did a search of the MS Knowledge Base for &quot;missing export&quot; and found article # Q184799, which led to the others. So I replaced those files and my error msgs. went away.

Bon Chance!

Won't let me overwrite the files in safe mode-will have to try from the start up disc. will let you know what happens.

Thanks

Hey bigjulie -

Safe mode won't cut it. You have to boot from the Windows Me Boot Disk (hopefully you have made one - probably during your original setup) into DOS mode.

Hey Woggie

I have replaced the two files successfully - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

However the two files concerned are still shutting me down in Corel Photopaint 9.It's driving me nuts. Corel's solution is for me to buy Photopaint 10.
I'm not winning this one - yet.

Bigjulie

Hey bigjulie -

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Sometimes I mistakenly think I have a life away from my desk <grin>.

Glad to hear of your success in restoring the files. Sorry to hear it didn't solve the problem.

Corel's &quot;solution&quot; ain't good enough. Unless you're running something else at some point during the same session in which you're running PhotoPaint that is creating a memory conflict, AND Corel has documented this potential in their software documentation, they have no right to be telling you to upgrade - unless they're going to give it to you free <grin>.

If I were you, I would be hard on their case about this, and, failing satisfaction, I would be papering the media with caveats about their poor support. I personally have had no experience of Corel's products so I can't testify as to their performance.

Cheers, woggie

Location of DLL files matter.
You didn't say what kind of problem Corel was having with them. Was it not finding them?
Also,
If they were needed by Corel, then they should be within the Corel install. Maybe an install of Corel would help.

Andy

I may not be at the head of the game but system files can easily be replaced with start > run &quot;msconfig&quot; extract file and windows will replace the files after reboot.
Had problems with this dll's myself because they got changed by an other program. Keep a backup somewhere.. might not be your last time.

Althought the problem is already solved I hope that s a helpful hint for the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back