Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ME/DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJcow

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
I recently fired up DSL/AOL on my ME system, since then, my boot time has slowed considerabley. After I get to desktop, I cant do anything till systray shows cd-detector icon on bottom right by time. It takes about a minute for system to 'recognize'(?) and 'initialize'(?) the cd detector. It never took this long before the DSL modem. I have a CLABS PC-DVD DxR3 and HP 9100i CD-RW. The DSL is a CLABS Broadxent modem. Any ideas? btw- I liked my cable connection alot more...

What is CD detector??? Don't think you need that running at startup do you??? Try going to START|RUN|type-"msconfig" no quotations|Click on startup tab|then uncheck the box for CD Dectector, AND anything thing else that you don't need running. The only things needed are found here: FAQ748-1600

Good Luck [deejay]
Nate
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Although not mentioned in any of the literature that came with my DSL modem, upon talking to the DSL supplier, they recommend shutting down the modem at least once a week. The one thing you can't buy is time. Yet!

rmnjshore,

This just started happening since you switched to DSL, right?

Can you provide some specifics of how you are configured/connected to DSL? I suspect the delay has nothing to do with CD-Detect but is the networking software looking for or establishing a connection. Are you PPPoE? DHCP? Who is your provider? Are you behind a router or directly connected?

The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back