Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ME Dial up. No browsing or e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooahhdoo

ISP
May 15, 2001
GB
A friend of mine brought round his laptop to me tonight with a dial up problem. He could connect to his ISP but could not browse or fetch email. I proceeded to remove tcp/ip and the dial up adaptor from network and removed DUN.
Re-booted and re-installed both and problem persisted.
I then plugged his laptop into my Lan, he was assigned an ip address (checked via netstat) but when I tried to ping the router or another machine it errored "unable to initialize windows sockets interface error 0"

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

you have got renements of some sort of spyware or dialing program in your registry
HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/winsock2
This website describes how to repair this:
but have heard here that spybot will also correct these problems

About your previous problem where u can connect to the internet but cant browse...I saw the link in the last replay, but i guess its kind of hard to follow...instead, i can give u this smalls steps that probably will solve the issue:

1- Click Start->Run->Type "regedit"
on the left panel ->click the plus(+) sign for Hkey_LocaMachine -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Services
and delete folders Winsock and Winsock2

2- Click on the plus sign(+) for VxD and delete again Winsock, Winsock2 and DHCP folders

3- Click on the minus sign(-) for VxD and click on the plus(+) for RemoteAccess -> Authentication and delete the folder SMM_Files..close the registry

4 -open add/remove programs in the control panel and click on Windows Setup....uncheck Communication component..click ok and DO NOT REBOOT...go back to Windows Setup and go into comunication component and put a check mark on DialUp Networking, Hyperterminal and Phone Dialer....click OK, Apply ,Ok and Reeboot...you can browse now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back