Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDE question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

btj

Technical User
Nov 17, 2001
US
I am considering deploying our Access 2000 database as an MDE. My concern is that our users' needs are continually changing so I will need to develop and modify the existing database.

I am unsure about how MDE and MDB files interact (if they do at all). I am pretty sure that you cannot modify an MDE (i.e. add code, build new features). So, if I need to make structural changes, how would I do it?

Thank you, in advance.

- Ben

From what I understand you must keep your orginal MDB file and if the user requests changes, change the MDB and then create a new MDE file.

Thanks!
That was along the lines of what I thought. Then, I assume that any data changes in the MDE file(i.e. adding/changing records)) will be shared with the MDB file. Is that true?

- Ben

No. Any changes to the data in the MDE file are not in your MDB file. If I was you, I would split the MDB file into 2 parts using the database splitter tool in access.

This way the data is in one database (back end) and the forms, queries, reports is in another database (front end).
Then make the MDE files. This way if you need to change a form or add a report or query you change the front end database and create a new MDE file just for it.

Thanks, again! I really appreciate your responses. I have one more follow-up.

I had thought of using the Database Splitter tool, but I thought that you had to install the front end of every machine that is going to use it. This would be a massive process.

Is that a correct understanding? Is there some other solution that I am missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back