Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDE File gets table info from original backend 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebolt

Instructor
Aug 4, 2001
CA
Hi, I have created an MDE file from a split file. I also copied the original file to another directory with a differnet name. However, each file updates the back-end tables. Why does this happen? Must I change something in the design when I create the MDE or copy the original.

Thanks,
Firebolt

That is why you split a database and why you create a MDE. You want the frontend to update the backend. Why would you want anything else. I am confused by your question. Give us more details.

I realize that is why you split files. However, after I create the MDE file, no matter what directory it is placed in, including a copy of the backend file, the only backend containing tables that gets updated is the original one in the directory with the mbd file. Therefore, I am unsure if I put this mde on another computer will it not be linked to the correct backend since it doesn't update the one in the same directory. I believe I need to relink the files in some way so they work together. My file MBD is called Register...I split it and the backend is called Register2. When I make an mde called Demo from Register and enter new data, Register2 is updated. That is how it should work. But when I place Demo and a copy of Register2 in a new folder, the copy of Register2 in which I expect to save new data does not get updated, the original Register2 does. Thus, I am unsure of how to update that copy properly. Hopefully this is a clearer picture.

Thanks
Firebolt

In the copy of the MDE you should relink the Tables to the Copy of Register2. otherwise they will update the tables in Register2 as originally set up in your MDB

Ok, I understand your problem but I still need some info. Are you saying you do not want the data updated in the original backend.
Assuming you do not then do this;
1- Look under Tools/Add-Ins/Linked Table Manager.
Click the Select All and Click the "Always prompt for a new location check box. That will link your MDE to the backend you want.
2- If you want to have the same data in each backend but want the front ends linked to different backends, then Make your backend a replica set.
Let me know if you need any clarification on my comments.
You are on the right track, Keep it up.

Excellent info there EvetsNosliw....your suggestion number 1 solved my problem. Thanks for the help.

Firebolt

Any suggestions on how to highlight and then unhighlight checkboxes or labels next to checkboxes when the user tabs into them? That will complete my application and make the users happy since they lose their place while tabbing into these fields (I have 4 on my form).

Try something like this behind the got focus and lost focus buttons of the check boxes will change the text to red (255) then back to black(0)

Private Sub chkbox1_GotFocus()
Label1.ForeColor = 255
End Sub

Private Sub chkbox1_LostFocus()
Label1.ForeColor = 0
End Sub

Hi!

What you probably want to do is change the back color of the label attached to the checkbox. Alternatively, you may want to change the special effect of the check box itself. To do this you will want to use the gotfocus and lostfocus events. In the design veiw of the form select one of the labels in question and, on the format tab of its property sheet, click in the backcolor box. Then click on the ... which will appear beside the box. Choose the color you want the background to change to and click okay. The color number will appear in the box for you to copy down. Return the label to its original background color and then note that number as well.

Now in the gotfocus event for each checkbox type:

LabelName.BackColor = Number

You will probably want to rename the labels to match their associated checkbox if you haven't already done so. The number above will be the color number you want the label to change to when it is 'highlighted'.

In the Lostfocus event type the same thing except use the color number of the original backgroung color.

hth
Jeff Bridgham

You labor under a mis-conception. User's are never happy. Only temporarily satisfied.

Thanks Jebry that worked really well. Thank you to everyone who responded to my queries...they helped bring my app to its conclusion.:-v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back