Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mdb vs mde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keberhard

Programmer
Mar 11, 2002
US
My question has to do with mdb files vs. mde files. I have created a database in Access 2000. I then created the mde file to protect my source code. While developing this database my computer was upgraded to Windows XP and Office 2002. I can still run the 2000 mdb file however, when I try to run the 2000 mde file the program crashes. Any suggestions?

Convert the mdb to the new version of Access, then create a new mde.
"The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

I have done that and it works just fine. However, we are trying to find a way to create an mde file that will run on both 2000 and 2002. If the 2000 and 2002 mdb files work on my system why won't both mde files work?

mde is 'compiled' code and specific to a particular version. You'll need different versions of the mde for different versions of Access.
"The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

That's kind of what we thought I just wanted to make sure.
Are there any other ways to protect the source code without having to create the mde file? Creating the mde file seemed to be the answer to all of our questions until we realized that we would need two different versions.

We make mde files on Access 2000, the version the dbase is designed in, however, it runs fine on 2000 or XP...cd be an exception..haven't tried it on 2002..

One footnote however, from what you are aguing, that the version the MDE is created in must be the version it should run on, then I would expect the MDE created in 2000 will have run time errors in XP...I'll have to check in detail on this...up to now haven't seen any but that doesn't mean they're not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back