Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.MDB SS2K -- Disconnected ADO Recordsets for Forms and Processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomCarnahan

Programmer
Dec 7, 2002
US
I did a search on this topic, but did not see much that helped.

Here is my situation:

I inherited a client-server application that has MS-Access (.MDB) as front-end and SQL-Server 2000 as backend. The developer used the backend only as storage (ie. no stored procedures, views, user-defined functions, triggers, etc.) and chose to use a combination of ODBC-linked tables and DAO for connecting to the backend.

The application has a lot of processing on the front-end with local tables linked to ODBC-linked tables and is very slow. Lots of joins. Lots of network traffic. We have just less than 100 users. Unfortunately, my customer won't pay for the much needed re-design so I am trying to make small incremental improvements in maintenance.

I would like to move most of the processing to the backend, but that is impractical right now. However, I have to start reducing network traffic and speed up some forms and processes that involve this "unholy" alliance between local and backend tables.

I read about "disconnected" ADO recordsets and saw them as a potental help in this situation, unfortunately, the author of the book dealt with .ADP front-ends only, not .MDBs.

Question: can I use disconnected ADO recordsets in my situation for sourcing forms and for some of the processes where I need a temporary join of a recordset from the backend with a local table?

Can someone point me to some examples of where this is done?

Thank you ahead of time for any help you can provide!

--- Tom

PS. I forgot to say that this is MS-Access 2003. [blush]

Thanks!

--- Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back