Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.mdb file size increases unrelatively

Status
Not open for further replies.

miabe

Technical User
Jul 22, 2001
DE
hello!

I've an urgent problem with access 7: I entered some text information in my database and some pictures and noticed, that the fles sice increased from some kb to 6MB only from one entry ( I only linked the picture to the db). and when I deleted that entry the file size even doubled to 12MB. now I have an empty database with a size of 12MB!!!
can anybody help me please!? is there maybe a function or a tool to optimize the size of access files?
thanx in advance
mia

Run Tools-->Compact Database and see if it helps...
Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

The problem is called "bloating" and the reason are the JPG files and the ACCESS OLE control that adds 1000% overhead (not a joke) to each of them.
I recommend a close look to the problem description and the solutions on the website of the ACCESS ONLINE ENCYCLOPEDIA: On the page with the links called "powerups for ACCESS" there is a wizard called "Graphics and ACCESS".

Joe and Francescina are correct. Run the compact and you also might want to look into storing a path to the image files in the database instead of storing the file itself. This will drop your DB size drastically... Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back