Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mdaemon newbie Config Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergalflannery

Technical User
Aug 31, 2004
IE
I have a network with 9 users. I want one of the users to recieve all the mail (receptionist) and from there pass all the mail on to individual users via internal mail. The users can send externally, but only recieve internally, except for the receptionist.

Can this be done? If so how?

Hi fergalflannery,

THis can definitely be done with Mdeamon... you can do this in a number of ways.. i can give you a basic way to do it with Mdemon.. the problem you have really is that when the mail gets to the reception, how does she send it out to all of the users? With 9 users this may make the receptionist so busy she/he won't have time to answer the phone.. :)

But.. it would look like this.. start with the reception.. setup mdeamon and create the reception@domain.com account. Setup the mail client (maybe Outlook?) on the reception computer.

Then setup the other 9 accounts on the server and have them setup to forward (wihout a copy retained locally) to the reception account. This will push all of the mail for all the users drectly into the recptionist's account. The reception shoudl be checking mail often and always.

Next, you could setup the 9 users and their mail clients with email accounts that can send/recive locally only. This way the reception could send out the mail to them when she/he routes the mail.

A typical user maight be like this:

joe@domain.com -> reception@domain.com

Recoetion reads, forwards message to joe_local@domain.com

Joe's email client is setup to read mail from joe_local@domain.com and send out through normal channels..

That would probably cover what you need.. it might take a bit to get it just the way you want tho..

Hoe this helps,
Kevin

+-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back