Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mdac_typ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compdrmt

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
US
I am trying to reduce the size of the package for an application i created. The problem is the setup wants to include and run mdac_typ.exe which is over 7 MB by itself

The question then what does htis do I know it has to do with data access which my program uses but can a person get around sending this somehow?

Thanks

Debugging is the process of removing bugs. Programming is the process of putting them in

That's the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) driver file; it's included to make sure that the target system has access to the same version of the ODBC drivers that you used to develop. If space is at a premium, you can un-include this from the install set...just make sure that the target system(s) have the correct (or current) MDAC drivers installed before running your app.

Yes, as long as you know for an absolute fact that the target machine already has the correct version of MDAC loaded, you can skip distributing it.

Of course, there's always that one guy who doesn't have it...

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

thanks

The issue is that we do not know. The application will be distibuted to all kinds of people with all sorts of machines and skill sets. We were hpoing to put it on an FTP site bur users with modems are kinda stuck.

It amazes me that a 300 KB exe requires 13 MB worth of support files. Welcome to windows

Debugging is the process of removing bugs. Programming is the process of putting them in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back