Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDAC_TYP.exe Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcginty

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
AU
When I deploy my program it includes MDAC_TYP.exe (size 6341 date 18/3/99). Because I am using ADO, ADOX I need to install MDAC_TYP Version 2.6 (size 5163 date 4/12/01) and then Jet 4.0.

At present I run mdac_typ.exe (2.6) then jet40sp3_Comp.exe before installing my package on a target computer.

My question is
How do I get the P&D wizard to use mdac 2.6 instead of the current version? and will this spare me from running mdac 2.6 before prog installation ( i did read somewhere that mdac 2.6 must be on the computer before the ADO program is installed)

Thanks

Mike When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

If you look in the following directory (or its equivalent on your machine), you should see a set of files, one of which is mdac_typ.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist

To the best of my knowledge, that is mdac_typ that gets included into the Setup Cab, and is the one executed during installation. I have never tried changing the mdac_typ exe, but I have, with success, replaced a few the DLL's in that directory. You might try putting the 2.6 version of mdac_typ in the Redist directory, rebuilding the setup, and give it a shot.

Obviously, save the mdac_typ.exe that currently exists so you can put it back if you need to. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Thanks

I have had a very busy day and believe I am almost a full bottle on mdac_typ

Yes the mdac_typ in PD wizards\redist is the one used during packaging. By default it is MDAC 2.0 from the VB6 install. Microsoft recommend installing the latest MDAC 2.7 and replacing the new mdac_typ into that directory

Great info on MDAC from the Microsoft site regarding install, troubleshooting etc

Mike When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back