Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDAC Issues ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocraig

Programmer
Aug 31, 2001
GB
I have recently been introduced to Visual Basic 6 (not having done any VB at all previously) having now written 3 Applications, connecting to an Oracle Database to retrieve and update data I was quite proud of myself. All worked fine, from VB Runtime and as compiled .exe's

Yesterday I installed SQL Server 2000 onto my PC, and now none of my Applications work in any environment. It has been suggested that this is because MDAC will have been upgraded.

Any Ideas / Solutions ???

what conenction method are you useing? OLEDB or ODBC?

ODBC, and am using the Microsoft driver MSDAORA.1 driver as encountered some bugs with the Oracle one.

The Error Message comes up as soon as the Application tries to connect to Oracle and reads

Run-Time error '-2147467259(80004005)':
ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified
OK

The Oracle explanation for what is obviously an Oracle error is that an invalid ALTER SESSION command is being attempted. My applications do not pass any AS commands so have to assume its the initial session connection that is at fault.

But this worked two days ago, and it hasnt been compiled again since, so it is presumeably something outside of the application itself.

Which is why I wondered if the installation of MS Sql Server 2000 would have changed/updated anything.

the MSDAORA.1 is the oledb ORACLE driver. If you want to talk to a SQL Server data base try this connection string:

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=True;Data Source=YOURSERVER;User Id=SA;Initial Catalog=YOURDATABASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back