Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mcshield.exe eats cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsjuhl

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2001
DK
I have a W2kPRO workstation having Virusscan vers. 4.5.1 sp1 installed and suddenly within the last 3 weeks mcshield.exe takes 80% percent of the CPU time when we access a shared network drive. I have 10 other W2KPRO running same virusscan from same installation (via GP in w2k server) Ive tried removing the software and installing it again with no luck, also I checked that the SCAN NETWORK DRIVES is not selected.
any idea why this problem suddenly comes up?
rgds,
Lars

Ive done some tests and found that if administrator of the domain logs on, there are no problems, but giving the users local admin rights didnt fix problem. Then I renamed Domain Admins local profile and then Domain Admin suffers the same problem with mcshield.exe with his new profile.... so it seemes to be coming from Default User profile on local machine...

I have no clue, please anyone have an idea?

Although this is for Win9x, try installing the engine hotfix.

HTH, AVChap
... my $1 worth of advise, 2cents isn't enough due to inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back