Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McShield disables during file scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoinkbing

Technical User
May 29, 2001
CA
I run a NT 4.0 server with sp6a and Seagate backup exec software. Every day the McShield scan will disable itself during a file scan and I have to manually enable it again. I get a Dr. Watson error message that states:

Application error McShield.exe
Exception: (0xe0070001), Address: 0x77f1d479

McAfee has been updated with the latest scan engine but, this was also happening with the old scan engine.

Does anyone know what could be causing this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

These problems seem to be caused by NT services interupting the Mcafee startup files. one tech bulletin suggested removing AVSYNMGR.EXE from the run services in the registry and putting it in the startup folder, but this would mean that there is no protection until a user has logged on.

Another bulletin said to check the version of the install file and to change it if it did not contain a library file.

The best solution so far seems to be to download

VirusScan Multiplatform service pack 1 from NAI.com

where did you find this service pack. i can't find it at their site?
thanks

I get the same Application Error, Exception, and Address when shutting down or logging off a workstation at work. This happens after I get a "VSHIELDWIN_CLASS" error, and choose "wait". Dr. Watson then comes back with the above message, and McAfee also opens up with the "fist holding a bug" screen, but no name of a virus, or a file infected. It says the Master Boot Record is infected. A full system scan, with up-to-date .DAT files revealed nothing. Booting with a DOS disk, then running FDISK /MBR cured the problem. No Vshield error, no Dr. Watson, either on logoff or reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back